GO

Glassics Online

Classic Fiberglass Boats

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Motor "rattle" = Bad Gas ?

MarkS

Since the weather is turning cooler, I decided it was time to burn up the 1/2 tank of "reserve" gas I keep in the boat.  It had been in there for three or four months, but was non-ethanol and had been treated with Startron, so I figured it would still be good.

Start up and idle fine, but when I got above 2500 rpm it sounded like the transom plates were coming off the mounts, or something was loose in/on the powerhead!  I tooled around long enough to burn the 3 gal, and switched over to the full tank with fresh mix.  The strange noises went away - problem solved, but very weird!?!?!

I've gotten bad gas before at the pump, but this was a new one on me, anybody else have similar experience?

--

Mark S

October 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

nj ron

mark,  sounds like low octane to me. i mistakenly put reg. gas in my 67 caddy and it sounded like a rattle trap. ron

--

October 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MarkS

It might have been Ron, you never know what you're getting out of the pump these days!  Another thought that occurred to me, I don't think I "shook" the tank before plugging it in - and as stated it had been sitting for a while.  (Maybe the oil separated to the bottom?)  Embarrassing to admit, but if I'm not real bright at least I'm honest, right!?  Hope I didn't score a piston or something, I'll have to run a compression check again this winter.  Seems to have run okay once I switched tanks so we'll see what happens..........

--

Mark S

October 14, 2012 at 5:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jerry

I have a local station that sells non-oxyginated premium that I mix 90 t0 1 with Amsoil. Can't shake the tank,

Maybe this is what you need.

[img]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh181/50sflash/IMG_0040.jpg[/img]

October 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MarkS

Jerry at October 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I have a local station that sells non-oxyginated premium that I mix 90 t0 1 with Amsoil. Can't shake the tank,

Maybe this is what you need.

[img]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh181/50sflash/IMG_0040.jpg[/img]

Love the "Race Gas Only" sign Jerry, I sure hope I get to see that fine boat next summer at the Classic in Red Wing!

I heard of another station here selling non-ethanol, gotta swing by and find out what octane rating.  (The only one I've found around here so far is 90 octane, my motor actually runs better on 93 or better.)  Unfortunately, race gas or aviation fuel is a little out of my price range.

Might have to try the Amsoil though, I'm just a little leery of running it at that "thin" of a mixture.  Have you been using it long?

--

Mark S

October 14, 2012 at 6:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jerry

I put "race fuel only" on because I didn't want someone just adding gas, I use 8oz to 5 gallpns (90 to 1) they start better, idle better and run better, I've never heard of anyone burning down a motor with Amsoil. give it a shot,

October 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.