GO

Glassics Online

Classic Fiberglass Boats

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Should I buy it?

bluedawg

Hi, I don't know much about boats and now find myself needing to buy one and I feel like I'm going into this blind. I am going to see thisboat today (Link below) The price is right for me as I can't afford much. But this boat seams like a sturdy workhorse which is what I need. Am I wrong? What should I look for when I go see? Any tips on what questions to ask? – Thanks a million!

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/boa/3171428633.html

August 27, 2012 at 8:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

glassicsonline
Site Owner

Those boats are sturdy work horses, that's actually a pretty good description of them. If you ask me, the price seems a little high, but if it's what you can afford and you like it, go for it...

As far as what to look for, take a screwdriver and tap with the handle around the transom and the floor. Any hollow sounding areas indicate delamination and probable rot underneath.

Ask to see records of maintenance on the motor. When was the impeller last changed, lower unit seals? These need to be checked and or changed often.

All negative points could be used in negociating a better price.

August 27, 2012 at 1:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bluedawg

Thanks! The guy is an auto mechanic so I am guessing he serviced the engine himself especially if it "Runs like new" I just did some reading on Outboard motor care and I see the impeller has to be changed often. I will ask. Do you think the carbon on the propeller means anything?

August 28, 2012 at 10:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

glassicsonline
Site Owner
Pretty sure that is black paint, so you're good there.
August 28, 2012 at 10:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bluedawg

Oh good Thanks! I am excited / nervous to go see it today. I've been up since 4 am - couldn't sleep.

August 29, 2012 at 5:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SPLIT

B.D. : WELCOME.. I use to live many years in Poughkeepsie , & Beacon (Near the river. . The overall package seems lightweight for basic fishing , swimming / camping.

The front seat area (Bowrider) will add space for ya.. Originally the seats were probable back to back recliner lounger type. A canvass top or sum shade Bimini would add sun rain protection.. It is Labor day & almost end of season.., Does not hurt to ask for $300 lower.. Can always come up ..or go for ride in water with seller.

August 29, 2012 at 11:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bluedawg

I am so Happy - I bought it for $1,000.00. It's the original engine and it runs great! He took good care of it. I can't wait to wax it all up :)

August 29, 2012 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bluedawg

Can I buy a Bimini for this boat?

August 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SPLIT

BLUE,: CONGRATS, see , we both saved ya money. LUV it when a plan comes together. One can make different tops for these boats. One of our Fla Glasspar guys had a orig NAVY (Snaps to windshield) top redone with the CLEAR panels over the seats for more light.?? Pic here http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/48537/2024146760099263945S500x500Q85.jpg and a full OPEN (BIMINI) can be raised for the sun / swim or slow speed cruise. My Sedan http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/49211/2746436270099263945S600x600Q85.jpg

August 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bluedawg

Oh yes, I like the first one that snaps to windshiels better than the open ones. I don't mind sun just don't want to get caught without a top in a rainstorm. Any ideas where I can find one like that top one?

August 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bluedawg

Anyone know a good resource for how to fix dings in the fiberglass?

August 30, 2012 at 8:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.