GO

Glassics Online

Classic Fiberglass Boats

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Soddy-Daisy's Forget restores antique boats for shows

glassicsonline
Site Owner

Soddy-Daisy’s Forget restores antique boats for shows

By Katie Ward

Thursday, May 31, 2012

e-article photo 

Larry Forget of Soddy-Daisy stands beside his silver 1954 Feather Craft antique boat that he polishes regularly. Photo by Katie Ward

It’s always boating season for Soddy-Daisy resident Larry Forget. He spends countless hours restoring antique boats to make them not only seaworthy, but also see-worthy.

He and his wife Cheryl have garnered many awards for their restored boats, which are often named Cheryl’s Fancy. For example, in 1985 they accepted the Best Chris-Craft Sports Boats Inc. in Clayton, N.Y., for Cheryl’s Fancy. It was a 1947 Chris-Craft Rocket the couple later sold in 1988.

“We’ve been antique boat collecting for 30 years and married 40 years,” said Larry Forget. “We were at the first Antique Boat Race Regatta in 1992 at 1,000 Islands in Clayton, N.Y. In Poughkeepsie we got an ACBS Hudson River Chapter 1985 Classic Runabout 3rd Place. The Southern New England Chapter of the Antique and Classic Boat Society presented us the 2nd Place in Class Annual Summer Show Award too.

“The 2012 Classic Boat Society Calendar features our 1967 Glasspar Sedan as the October 2012 boat.”

He and his wife belong to the Antique and Classic Boat Society and the Antique Outboard Motor Club. They estimate Larry Forget has restored almost one boat per year since the hobby began in upstate New York on the Hudson River.

Their love of antique boats continued when they moved to Melbourne, Fla. When they grew tired of hurricanes, they decided to move to Soddy-Daisy so they could remain close to water. That was six years ago.

Larry Forget now owns three boats and has sold other ones on which he has worked. He is currently working to restore a 1959 G-3 Glasspar Ski Boat in his garage. He said he likes to purchase boats from their original owner so he can find out the boat’s history.

“I found a friend in Hixson, Andrew, that restores too,” said Larry Forget. “We share ideas and work together. We hope to generate more interest and support in the hobby. We want people to restore and recycle their boats instead of throwing them away.”

He said he has found nice 50s and 60s-era boats in the Chattanooga area. In the 1950s Soddy-Daisy had hydroplane boat races.

Meeting other couples with antique boats is Larry and Cheryl Forget’s favorite thing to do, he said.

Cheryl Forget said Larry did not have a boat growing up, but he decided after they married that he wanted to get into boating. He started out fixing chain saw motors, lawnmower motors and later upgraded to boat motors.

More info and pics here: Glassics in the News

Original print photo

June 1, 2012 at 2:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MarkS

Very cool!  Jeeze Larry, I didn't know you were famous. 

--

Mark S

June 13, 2012 at 5:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SPLIT

I guess I am getting that way with motors this week. Georgia lummie guy going for a MERC 500 on Thursday & Dealer STAND... Found a 58 JOhnson White & GOLD /w chrome front in Nashville may have a buyer. . NO respect from our McCOY neighbors, my 16 ft Al skiff boat stolen Sat night. They only got 200 yards down cove, as I pull plug, leave no oars.. They really scraped clean the yearly state Sticker, but both sides of hull Reg #'s were gouged with screw driver, & took time to UN-BOLT front & rear casting deck, throw lumber in woods.. Left all the long screws in boat, so most is put back together today, I installed my new Free seat from last Spring Bass tournament. Will sample Thursday am in creek run. Ever sell the Nostril NOSE. ? My 59 G-3 has been paid for by North Georgia couple. Finishing trailer here.

June 13, 2012 at 8:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MarkS

So sorry to hear about the theft, what IS this world coming to ????  Have fun in the creek today, good luck and be careful.  No, the CVX is still sitting in my back yard.  I'm trying to keep the wife happy, but having "separation issues" with selling it!  ;)

I know you hated to part with the G-3, but at least it sounds like she's going to a good home. 

--

Mark S

June 14, 2012 at 5:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.