GO

Glassics Online

Classic Fiberglass Boats

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Installing a bow eye

raymold408

I want to install a bow eye on the front of my boat. I am new to boating and this is my first boat. It is a 16 ft fiberglass with easy access to the inside of the closed bow. Right now it is tied to my trailer winch by ropes tied to the chocks on the bow. Does anyone have some advice? Would this be something I could do myself or is it best to have it done professionally?

Any help would be appreciated.

February 25, 2012 at 12:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MarkS

Hi Ray, and welcome aboard.  This is definitely something you can do yourself, assuming you're handy with basic tools.  I'm assuming there is no bow eye there now?  If not, you'll need to purchase the hardware first to determine the size of hole you'll need to drill for the mounting stud(s).  Bow eyes are available in several styles, some with one stud and some with two.  (I prefer the two, seems to me to be a stronger design.)  You'll also need some sealant to put on the mounting stud(s) - 3M 5200 or something similar will work fine, and is available at many hardware stores.  I also like to install a hardwood "backer" board on the inside, to help strengthen the hull behind the eye.  (Helps spread to load over a larger area)  You may need to bevel the edges of the board to fit down into the "V", if that is the case with your boat.  This can be done with a saw or a grinder, whatever you have handy.  One thing to keep in mind when deciding where to mount it - you want the bow eye to be just under the bow stop on the trailer if possible.  This helps prevent the boat from riding up and over the bow stop in the event of sudden stops or an accident.

Hope this helps, post some pics when you get a chance and don't be afraid to let us know if you have any questions. ;)

--

Mark S

February 26, 2012 at 6:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

raymold408

Hi Mark, and thank you for the info. Exactly what I was looking for. As far as the backer board you mention,I do have a couple of questions. When you mention a hardwood backer board,do you think something like oak?..or would you have a better suggestion? Also, about how thick of a board? I already have a new bow eye to install. It has 2 studs that are 3/8"x about 3-4 inches or that I bought at west marine.I am trying to put a couple of pics of what the area looks like that I am working with.

I really appreciate the help too by the way. I am getting ready to make an album on here of pictures of my boat. We are taking it out for the first time in a couple of days so I am waiting to have some of those pictures too.

I am having trouble putting pictures here on the message so I will try to start an album and put them in there so you can see.

February 26, 2012 at 6:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MarkS

Oak or any hardwood will work, I just used a piece of 1x2 beveled to fit into the "V", then a piece of 1x4 behind that. (I had plenty of threads sticking through the hull!)  It was left-over trim from another project, I sealed it with four coats of Helsman Spar Urethane and used 3M 5200 to seal the holes when installing the bow eye.  Just tighten the nuts finger tight for a few days, giving the 5200 a chance to set up a little, then finish tightening them down.  

Looking forward to seeing your pics.....

--

Mark S

March 1, 2012 at 5:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

raymold408

Thank you very much Mark. Now I feel confident in doing the installation myself. You have given me all of the info I was wondering about. I will make sure to put pictures of the job on here too. I have a lot of pictures from fixing up my boat. I will put them all on here as soon as I can.

Thank you again Mark.

Raymond

March 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.