GO

Glassics Online

Classic Fiberglass Boats

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Marine Wiring

MarkS

I have some repairs to make on an Evinrude wiring harness, several of the control wires were cut at some time in the past and just twisted back together and taped.  I'd like to get some feedback on crimp connectors vs. soldering - what do you believe is best?

--

Mark S

January 28, 2012 at 1:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve g

Mark, no question about it. Take a little extra time and solder the connections and use the heat shrink sheathing stuff.I have had too many of those quick connects come loose.

Steve G

January 29, 2012 at 8:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MarkS

Thanks for the input Steve, I was kinda leaning that way but wanted some "reinforcement" input I guess.  I think all the factory connections I've ever seen were soldered originally, so solder it will be!  ;) I know there is very little as frustrating as chasing a wiring problem after you've already worked on it once.

--

Mark S

January 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MarkS

Okay, the harness is repaired and ready for installation.  Since the weather isn't quite good enough for painting, I'm trying to tackle as many of the "odd jobs" or preparation work as possible, and gather needed supplies that will be needed.  I'm planning on running a single (large gauge) circuit to the dash, with a fused multi-circuit (5) panel to power lights, accessories, etc. .  Do you think 8 ga wire would be of sufficient size since I'm not running anything with a large current draw from there?  (Planning on putting a large fuse back at the battery, of course!)

--

Mark S

March 9, 2012 at 7:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

steve g
Hey Mark,that should good for about 20-25 amps.So I think that should be good.
March 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.