GO

Glassics Online

Classic Fiberglass Boats

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > 1962 Upson sport jet boat

Frank

Hope you folks are good at this , Although  I tend to think I am pretty good at finding what I'm looking for. I'm Stumped. As I noted in my registration with you today I currently have a 1962 " Upson Sport Jet Boat", The only thing I have been able to find on this boat is a poster on E-bay. She has a Graymarine Fireball V-8 and my friend at the marina had a Tech. manual on that ,But he to had never heard of this boat. So I'm in need of info on her as I intend to return her to original condition. Currently she runs sweet and I gave her a new paint job a couple of years ago, But I need to do some serious work on the deck and replace the "Foam" inside of the deck. I also need to repair the drive cable ,Which I have done a couple of times and never seem to get it right. So this is my plea,  Please Help . Thanks , :) Frank

March 1, 2011 at 3:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MarkS

Must be a pretty rare one Frank, I can't find anything on it either!  Can you post some pics, we'd love to see it .?

--

Mark S

March 2, 2011 at 7:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cc1000

The only reference I could find in my very limited search was this:

Google Book Search

Maybe you could try contacting the chamber of commerce, library or historical society in Necadeh, Wisconsin.

Of course this is from 1909, so it may have nothing to do with your boat. :~)

March 2, 2011 at 7:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Frank

Okay ! :) Now I'm happy, Not that I got the response I  was hoping for  from someone , But since I Stummped the best of you already  it seems I wasn't just guessing that she was special. I was getting some photos together last night and as soon as I can ( most likely Monday) I will post them for you to enjoy and maybe help with this. Some  other info I have that might help, The poster I found  had listed Painsville Ohio as the Company's Location, My Title Listed the " Make" as Upson Sport Jet # 1027,, @18'8", "Model" 188V8. She has a Jet Outdrive with Steering jet ports both sides, Controled by a "Stick Shift" .Pilots side is on the Port side and get this She has a "gas pedal" on the floor. I got this boat from my dad a few years back before he died and have had it in storage since our last ride together. When we got it she was sitting in a friend of his yard and had trees growing out of her seats. We Cleaned her up ,made some new seats, gave her a paint job, Tune up & went for it. She gave us a great day of it But just did not seem to get up and "plane" out, Come to find out that she was full of walnuts that some dang squirrel thought was a good hiding place :roll:. I took out 3 large garbage cans full out of her. Since that time I have removed the wood flooring from her and cleaned out the old oil soaked foam. Thats where I'm at now, Wanting to put her back together "Right". Seems you might hear from me quite often this year. I'm glad to have met up with you folks and hope to met some of you on the water soon. Thanks again !

March 3, 2011 at 11:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MarkS

I love hearing the "history" behind a project like that Frank, very cool that you're bringing her back.  Can't wait to see some pics and follow along.....:)

My current project is on hold until I can do some work outside.  Filling the garage with fiberglass dust isn't an option with two dogs using that space as "home".

--

Mark S

March 6, 2011 at 6:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Frank

Just a quick note today, I have found a article in a 1963 popular science magazine. Vol. 182, April 1963 page 114/115 . Wow you gotta see this .  :)Thats my boat ! But Still can not find a hint of Upson Marine other then this mention.

August 9, 2011 at 11:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

72Hornet

I woul love to see pictures of your Upson Jet boat!  We had one on our lake back in the 70's that looks like the one in the ad.  Left hand helm, 188 hp Gray Marine Rambler 327 V8 powered.  Great lines on those boats!

September 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

glassicsonline
Site Owner

Nice job on finding some info on these boats guys...

FiberGlassics Upsom Boat thread

--

Dave

September 15, 2012 at 11:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jim W

Hi my grandfather saw this thread and since he didn't know how forums worked he couldn't respond so I signed up for him.

My grandfather worked on these boats and would be happy to answer any questions you have. His father owned Upson Marine Corp which became Upson Machine Products and focused primarily in defense work until it closed in the mid-90's.

I don't know much about boats myself, but based on speaking with him I learned that about 12-15 boats were made not including prototypes and retrofits.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to pass them along. My grandfather also said he'd be happy to speak on the phone with anyone who would like to learn more about the boats. Let me know and I can share his phone number with you privately.

The family also has some old video footage of the boats in action. If there is interest I'll see if I can get it onto youtube.

October 29, 2013 at 9:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Frank

Hot Damn,!, Thank You , And yes I would love to talk to your Grandfather on this. Currently the boat is in my shop and I am still working to put her right, I found a guy in madison who also worked there during the time of closing & cleanout and was able to get a few parts and info then but his info was pretty limited. I also noted the passing of a Mr. Mcgrath in our local paper that made mention of his employment at Upson, But short of that I dont have much to go on other then the boat itself. Which I do say Sir , If this is your creation, What a Fine thing she is. I think I will have her ready come spring

My name is Frank Curtin, You can reach me here, or by phone, My Office is 440-964-3667 , I am the owner of Eastdale Overhead Door in Ashtabula, Oh. 

Once again , Thanks everyone

October 31, 2013 at 1:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.