GO

Glassics Online

Classic Fiberglass Boats

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > why do I have two drain holes

mike

I recently (11-17-10) purchased a 1962 (at least that is what the p.w. says) MFG 14 foot boat.  It has two drain holes.  One for the inside of the boat and the other for the area just under the floor?  There is not enough room (that I can see) to have a bilge pump.  Why does this boat have this feature....or what is the lower drain hole for?

Thank you for any information that you can tell me about this.

mike

November 18, 2010 at 3:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MarkS

Welcome Mike,

The lower drain hole is to drain the bilge area, in case water seeps into there.  The upper is usually a splashwell drain, which would normally be left unplugged.  (Unless it's below the water line when the boat is in the water!)  The lower hole should be plugged before launching the boat into the water, and pull the plug as soon as you load it back on the trailer when leaving the lake/river.

Can you post some pics?

--

Mark S

November 25, 2010 at 8:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

mike

MarkS at November 25, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Welcome Mike,

The lower drain hole is to drain the bilge area, in case water seeps into there.  The upper is usually a splashwell drain, which would normally be left unplugged.  (Unless it's below the water line when the boat is in the water!)  The lower hole should be plugged before launching the boat into the water, and pull the plug as soon as you load it back on the trailer when leaving the lake/river.

Can you post some pics?

I cannot post a picture right now.  Camera is in my wifes car and she is shopping (christmas you know).  My boat then has a third drain hole which I failed to tell you with my original letter.  The third one is on the inside of the boat.  As I am thinking now, the third one is to drain the lower bilge area into the interior area.  I find this to be peculiar but what the hell.  I am in the process and will be for the next 3 to 4 months of updating/renewing the boat and motor.  I have a 1968 Johnson 55 hp on the boat that needs tender loving care.  As an aside, I believe my father straightened the lower shaft on this motor.  The motor will receive the most attention first since the boat is in very good shape for the years on it.

Thank you for taking time to answer me!

mike 

November 28, 2010 at 3:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

houston

Well, mike I can't wait to see some pictures, I had a dorset that had three and it came with a very odd explanation.

December 2, 2010 at 12:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.