GO

Glassics Online

Classic Fiberglass Boats

Forums

Forum Home > Introductions > Alan from Michigan Needs Info

Alan

Hey Everyone,

I live near the Ausable River and Lake Huron with many inland lakes nearby which is the norm for the beautiful State of Michigan. Any direction you choose to take will put you at a body of water of one sort or the other. I've had boats, mostly fishing boats, nearly all my life until my last divorce. I joined this site because I've got first crack at buying a classic fiberglass boat. As I was researching this boat I became fascinated with all the beautiful pictures of the classic fiberglass boats I had almost forgotten about from my youth.

Well, my mind is made-up. I am definently going to buy this particular boat because it is a one owner boat and is in very good condition. What I am in desperate need of is some or any info from the more experienced members about this boat. I can find very little info on the boatmaker and no info at all on the particular boat. I want to post a picture but I'm concerned that if I go to the owners house and take pictures before I buy it, he might get the same idea and raise the price on me.

Ok, this is what I know about the boat. It's a 1966 ThunderHawk, and that is how it's spelled on the boat, with a capital H. It's a 1966 ThunderHawk 14' fiberglass made buy a company called Thunderhawk Ltd. out of Rebecca, Georgia PO Box 166 that not long after moved their company to Dawson, Georgia. The Mod. # is TH-1400 and from how I read it the ser.# is N.C. 1500. It is a tri-hull design but looks like some type of modified tri-hull because it's unlike my view of what a tri-hull is. It just doesn't have the extreme hull form. Heck, you can tell I'm confused and new at this game already. It's got what I believe to be the original outboard on it which is a 1966 Johnson Super Sea-Horse electric 33Hp. The package includes the boat, motor, trailer, and an extra outboard which is a 1965 33 HP Evinrude. Supposedly both motors run good. I'm expecting a call from the owner at any day now to hear the motors run. I don't mind telling you all that I'm getting this package for 800 dollars. The boat is red and white and doesn't even need to be painted although my intention is to enjoy it this summer and completly restore it next winter. What do you all think? Oh, by the way, it has a galvinized trailer and I'm wondering if this could be the original trailer or did they even make galv. trailers in 1966?

--
April 17, 2010 at 3:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

nj ron

alan, my buddy from rochester ,n.y. is quite the authority on thunderbird boats. i'll shoot him an email to check out your post. nj ron

April 18, 2010 at 7:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alan

Thanks nj ron, I hope when you wrote about a friend who knows "thunderbird boats" you made a typo and you are actually talking about Thunderhawk boats. This is not a Larson Thunderhawk, it is a Thunderhawk made by a company called Thunderhawk Ltd. So far It has been difficult to obtain any info on this boat. I'm going to call the owner today and try to get a picture posted. Thank you very much for your help and interest nj and I hope your friend is as thoughtful as you are in helping out the newbies.

--
April 19, 2010 at 6:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kent

Alan -  Anyone still here?  I have posted some info about ThunderHawk LTD. of Dawson, Georgia along with photos of my 1970 ThunderHawk 1400 at:

http://www.fiberglassics.com/fiberglassics-forums/home/main-forum/thunderhawk

Scroll down to the last three posts by Kent.  That is me.  Darrin will take you for a ride in his ThunderHawk 1400 on Moosehead Lake in Maine at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WunxXMmgavA

The motor is a 1966 Johnson 33.  Enjoy!

August 11, 2014 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crebb

Alan, where are you in N. Michigan? I have a garage full of classic glass and no one around here cares about them but me. Perhaps we should meet. Wondering how you made out with the thunderHawk?

Crebb

--
August 31, 2014 at 7:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.