GO

Glassics Online

Classic Fiberglass Boats

Forums

Forum Home > Fiber Glass Boat Manufacturers > Aqua Dart

cc1000

Anyone remember these?

Apparently they were made near Perry NY.

Tim dug up some info on them last year.

This is what I've found so far:

January 27, 2010 at 8:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

punkin

this was a hand manufactured boat, it was started in Perry, NY and was a custom sale only, Leisuredyne joined to the original corporation and moved the factury out of NY state, I believe i own all the last of the aqua darts at this time.

September 15, 2010 at 10:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cc1000

Hi Punkin, Thanks for checking in.

Can you tell us anything about their use in the military?

From what I've read, they were primarily in the testing phase.

September 15, 2010 at 4:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

springrepair

punkin at September 15, 2010 at 10:00 AM

this was a hand manufactured boat, it was started in Perry, NY and was a custom sale only, Leisuredyne joined to the original corporation and moved the factury out of NY state, I believe i own all the last of the aqua darts at this time.

Hello punkin;

My father Robert Hoffman was one of three men who started Leisuredyne around 1969-1970. They created a manufacturing facility in Morristown NJ. During a next three years we made several hundred boats. I say we as I was in high school about a mile from the facility and worked there afternoons and summers.

Two of my brothers and myself ran a rental operation on Barnaget Bay in SeaSide Park for two summers renting the Aqua Darts and Sunfish sale boats.

The early 70's were challanging times for the boat industry and Leisuredyne didn't survive. It took many more years and alot more money for the Kawasaki JetSki and the Sea Doo to finally make it.

I still have one boat running. Just this past weekend I had to cut open the deck to replace the gas tank. Hind sight the gas tanks should have been stainless. I still have the the fiberglass molds, and various parts and engines. I also have several more boats in my back yard which I haven't found time to try to get running. I also have several Aqua Dart trailers.

It's not pretty as at the moment the deck is Duct Tape over the gas tank. I'll try to post a picture this weekend.

Are any of your boats running?

July 13, 2011 at 9:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

glassicsonline
Site Owner

This is a great story. It might get even better if we could find a way to get one of these molds back to the Western New York area to build another one of these. This has the potential to be a project for a future class at the new antique boat clubs work shop in Buffalo. PM me if you are interested and we'll talk.

July 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

greattiburon

Yes I remember the Aquadart well!  In the early 1970's I worked at the Fountainblu Hotel in Miami Beach remting out Hobie Cats, Aqaudarts and Sunfish. We had three Aquadarts and they were alot of fun to ride. I am very interested in aquiring one in any condition or components, molds and parts to get the thrill of the ride back.

July 22, 2011 at 11:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

greattiburon

Hello Punkin,

I saw your response on the Aqua Darts and was wondering what condiction they are in and would you be willing to sell one.

I haven,t seen or riddin on an Aqua Dart since the 70's.

All together a different experience than jet ski.

greattiburon

July 27, 2011 at 8:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

greattiburon

springrepair at July 13, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Hello punkin;

My father Robert Hoffman was one of three men who started Leisuredyne around 1969-1970. They created a manufacturing facility in Morristown NJ. During a next three years we made several hundred boats. I say we as I was in high school about a mile from the facility and worked there afternoons and summers.

Two of my brothers and myself ran a rental operation on Barnaget Bay in SeaSide Park for two summers renting the Aqua Darts and Sunfish sale boats.

The early 70's were challanging times for the boat industry and Leisuredyne didn't survive. It took many more years and alot more money for the Kawasaki JetSki and the Sea Doo to finally make it.

I still have one boat running. Just this past weekend I had to cut open the deck to replace the gas tank. Hind sight the gas tanks should have been stainless. I still have the the fiberglass molds, and various parts and engines. I also have several more boats in my back yard which I haven't found time to try to get running. I also have several Aqua Dart trailers.

It's not pretty as at the moment the deck is Duct Tape over the gas tank. I'll try to post a picture this weekend.

Hello Springrepair,

As I Mentioned before, I use to rent Aqua Darts back in the 70's on Miami Beach.

I have no idea what ever became of the three darts that we had, but since I left the boat rentals  I tryed to find out what happened to them, but no luck.

I am interested in restoring an Aqua Dart  for my self as I beleave  it is a different experince than riding a jet ski.

But more importantly I remember them well and had lots of fun on an Aqua Dart.

Can you assist !

July 27, 2011 at 9:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Billy Abrams

greattiburon at July 27, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Hello punkin;

Hello Springrepair,

As I Mentioned before, I use to rent Aqua Darts back in the 70's on Miami Beach.

I have no idea what ever became of the three darts that we had, but since I left the boat rentals  I tryed to find out what happened to them, but no luck.

I am interested in restoring an Aqua Dart  for my self as I beleave  it is a different experince than riding a jet ski.

But more importantly I remember them well and had lots of fun on an Aqua Dart.

Can you assist !

I have a 1970 Aqudart that I aquired about 10 years ago. It was sitting on the side of the road as trash. I enjoyed repairing it and learning how to ride the unit. At the moment it needs to be put back together, it needed a water pump. I have had several people stop me to look at it as i am putting it in the water. I would be interested in learning more about the history.

Thanks,

August 5, 2011 at 4:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

speedex

Hello punkin;

Springrepair,  new member and I am interested in the Aqua Dart.  I have one and am in the process of restoring.  Motor is being gone through by a marine mechanic friend, I have most of the hardware off and the decals are being made as we speak.  The person I got it from has the lower unit and leg support which I have yet to get.  Would you have a mirror in your stock available?  Do you have any lower units, etc. if things don't work out here.?  We have a family cottage on Silver Lake in Wyoming County, NY and 50 years ago went to where they were being made, only about two miles away and I still have the original paper flyer that they handed out, it was a pretty simple operation then.  I wouldn't imagine that there are any of them left around.  I also researched the patent and have secured a copy of that.   Thank you for your response.

January 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.